Monday, June 04, 2012

Updates

It has been so long since I last posted. So many things have been happening. The kids are finished their school for the year so we have had a lot more free time. They have filled it with lots of computer time, board game time and outside time. With all of that I have been distracted from posting. Amazing how hard it can be to find time to blog with 7 kids demanding your attention.

In the last 2 months I have been running way less than ever before. It has been a mix of sickness, pain from my ongoing issues and a new trail injury to my knee. Even with less running I was able to complete my third half marathon in May. I guess that's where I'll start.
I ran the Rocky Mountain Soap Co. Women's Half Marathon on May 12th. I knew this was going to be a tough race and wanted to make sure I didn't take it too seriously. I ran in a Glamrunner tutu to make it more fun and keep my attitude fun and playful.








Finished!!
What a great plan. It was silly and fun and crazy hard. The elevation gain overall was over 1100ft. I finished with a time of 2:08 a full 6 minutes slower than my first half. Runkeeper entry for the race. Considering the elevation, I feel like I did great. I feel like I am getting stronger and running stronger all the time. Right after the race my asthma started rearing its ugly head again. I have had no trouble in 6 months but now with all of the pollen in the air I am dying. My Dr added another preventative medication and double my other meds. It feels awful to be so full of drugs, but without them I can't breath at all. Right now every run is much harder than it needs to be, partly why I haven't been running as much. I am hoping the pollen goes away soon.







2 weeks after the half I went to visit my parents in Sundre with my kids. We had a great time. I found a sweet trail to run right in town and I was excited to run on trails all week instead of the road. Unfortunately on my first run I was foggy from being glutened and I tripped and fell. I fell so hard I bounced off the river rocks. I hit my knee hard!




























I seriously considered going to have my knee x-rayed it was all bumped out weirdly. The photos really didn't catch how bad it was. I could barely walk and couldn't do stairs at all. I was pretty worried that I wouldn't be able to run my next race at all. As of Friday my knee was still hurting and running just hurt too much. Today it feels better and I am going to try a run tonight if my lungs cooperate. If I still can't run I am going to make an appointment with my sports med dr. My next race is the Millarville Half on June 16th.

There are so many other things to tell you that I will have to write another post right away.

--- Kyle and I ran the trails in Sundre again and came in-between 2 young moose calves. Scary!!!

--- The 4 oldest kids all ran their first race, 2 wore vibrams and 2 went barefoot

--- more updates on how living gluten free is going, including the part where I was glutened at a restaurant when they place a noodle under my veggies just because.

Things have been exciting and boring around here. Lots of days of doing the same things mixed with moments of chaos and fun.

Thanks for reading if you're still here. It feels great to be blogging again. I have to give a shout out to my lovely daughter for entertaining the babies and younger kids so that I could write this. Thank Rebekah you are a rock star!!

Robbie



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

  1. Great to see a post and catch up! Hope the knee is better... I know how trail crashes go! Loved seeing the pics of the kids in their running bibs.. so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I can't imagine running in that kind of elevation! *thud* That is amazing! But I bet it was beautiful! (No mountains here in Michigan, so I always appreciate them when I see them!)

    And holy cow, your knee looks ROUGH! Take care of yourself and be safe...don't make it worse! (ok, lecture over, lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knee looks good today. Not sure when I will be running though because now my GI stuff is bad. Seriously it is like my body is trying to stop me from running. LOL Silly body I need to remind it how much it loves running.

    Hi That Loud Redhead, thanks for coming by. I love reading your blog. The elevation was unbelievable, seriously it was uphill both ways. :) I even had to power hike the major uphills. It even had switchbacks that seemed like they were straight uphill. It was fun and I feel like I could run anything now.

    ReplyDelete